ExploreNorth, your resource center for exploring the circumpolar North

Return to the Home Page The ExploreNorth Blog About ExploreNorth Contact ExploreNorth

Search ExploreNorth












newspapers.com













































































Historic Alaska Highway Lodges & Roadhouses

by Murray Lundberg

An Explorer's Guide to the Alaska Highway

Yukon Highway Lodges - More of the Story


    The lodges and points of interest that follow are in order from Dawson Creek, BC, to Delta Junction, Alaska. Initially posted on December 24, 2016, this will be an ongoing project as I add photos and information about each lodge.

  *   Locations for lodges and points of interest are given for Historic Miles from Dawson Creek, current kilometers ("Km"), and, in the Yukon, "old "Km", the kilometer-post reference prior to about 2010 when all kilometer-posts were replaced to reflect the shortened highway due to re-routing.

  *   All photographs are by Murray Lundberg unless otherwise credited, and copyright is held by him.

Click on the images below to enlarge them


Part 2: Lodges from Mile 496 to Mile 918 - Liard Hotsprings to Whitehorse

Part 3: lodges from Mile 968 to Mile 1428 - Mendenhall to Delta Junction



Dawson Creek - Historic Mile 0,


Cedar Lodge Motel, Dawson Creek, 1957
Cedar Lodge Motel: Historic Mile 0

The ad to the left is from The Fairbanks New-Miner Progress Edition, November 20, 1957.

  *   November 1957, has 20 all new, modern units; operated by Hank and Georgie Redecopp.


Dahlen's Aut-o-tel - Historic Mile 0

  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Dahlen's Aut-o-tel (AHA) - on your right as you enter Dawson Creek from the south, is a new establishment with private or adjoining baths available with rooms. All beds equipped with innerspring mattresses, heating by natural gas, and with cooking facilities and extra davenos for families. Rates are from $5.00 up, double. It is next door to 24 hour gas service, a grocery store and coffee 'bar.' There is also trailer parking space. Phone Dawson Creek 70 for reservations, Owned and operated by the Dahlen Bros."


Dawson Hotel - Historic Mile 0

  *   "Alaska and the Alaska Highway" (AAA, 1950): "54 rooms, 8 baths. Single $2 to $5, double $3 to $7.50. Modern."
  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Dawson Hotel - Milepost 'Zero,' Dawson Creek. One of the largest and most modern hotels north of Edmonton - and on the Alaska Highway. Pleasant dining room serving carefully prepared meals, rooms with or without bath; beverage room in connection. In the heart of town, adjacent to garages, stores and bus depot."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: same text as 1952.


Farstad Motel - Historic Mile 0

  *   Lou Jacobin's 1958 "Guide to Alaska and the Yukon" listing: Carl and Gena Farstad, who own and operate this motel, offer clean, modern rooms, radios in each room; central heating; good beds, shower or tub bath, some light cooking facilities; plug-ins for car block heaters in winter; rates from $6 single, $7 double and up. Reservations advisable during tourist season. Phone Dawson Creek 535. or write P. 0. Box 1151, Dawson Creek, BC. Motel has been enlarged to two stories; other improvements, wall-to-wall carpeting.


Mile Zero Hotel, Dawson Creek, 1957
Mile Zero Hotel: Historic Mile 0

The ad to the left is from The Fairbanks New-Miner Progress Edition, November 20, 1957.

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Mile '0' Hotel and Alaska Travel Bureau. The leading Alaska Highway travel agency, located in the lobby of a comfortable and modern hotel. Rooms with either private shower or detached tub baths, and extra large rooms for families - children are welcome. Travel and highway information service, guide books, maps, north country souvenirs, post cards. R. H. A. Neilson, owner and manager."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Mile Zero Hotel (AHA) - centrally located in Dawson Creek, steam heated, and hot and cold water in all the rooms - rooms with bath or shower available. Road maps and hiway information. Semi-Motel family suites in the Annex. Parking space. Courteous and friendly service, rates moderate,"

  *   November 1957, R. H. Neilson is manager.


Red Bird Auto and Trailer Court - Historic Mile 0

  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Red Bird Auto and Trailer Court (AHA) - near junction of Alaska and Hart Highways, 3 blocks from Alaska Highway. Neat housekeeping cabins for couples or families, furnished with gas stoves. Children are welcome. Trailer parking space with electric connections. Gas and oil service station operated in connection, The operator - a big game guide and trapper, gladly furnishes information on this region for sportsmen. Mr. and Mrs. Lorne Haralson, operators."


Windsor Hotel, Dawson Creek, 1957
Windsor Hotel: Historic Mile 0

The ad to the left is from The Fairbanks New-Miner Progress Edition, November 20, 1957.

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "The Windsor Hote, Dawson Creek, on the main street, one block west of the famous 'Zero Milepost.' The newest and largest hotel in Dawson Creek, with 54 rooms, 32 with private bath, (tub and shower combination). Fully sound-proofed and well ventilated. Both a cafe and beverage room are operated in connection. Reliable information for highway travelers, and free parking lot for guests."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: same text as 1952.
  *   November 1957, has 54 rooms, 32 private baths.


Callison Motel - Historic Mile 0

  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Callison Motel (AAA) (AHA) - this is a modern apartment-motel, located on main highway at Alaska Ave. and 13th St., 3 blks. from business center. Each unit has two rooms and bath, with up-to-date natural-gas equipped kitchenettes, extra daveno-beds, utensils, dishes, soft innerspring beds, and efficient gas heaters. Convenient parking at your door, gas and oil service (Standard & Imperial credit cards). Rooms available 24 hours. Owned and operated by John and Anne Callison."

Triway Motel & Trailer Park, Dawson Creek, 1957
Triway Motel & Trailer Park: Historic Mile 1.2

The ad to the left is from The Fairbanks New-Miner Progress Edition, November 20, 1957.

  *   November 1957, "Canada's largest trailer park" has room for 160 trailers on 6 acres, and 12 modern motel units; J. W. Ambler is manager.


Trail Motel, Dawson Creek, 1992
Trail Motel; Trail's Auto Court: Historic Mile 1.2

The ad to the left is from The Milepost, 1992 edition.

  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Trail's Auto Court (AHA) - on the Alaska Highway. 'Finest on the Trail' one mile from city center (northbound) with 20 units. This is the largest and most up-to-date auto court at Dawson Creek. All units are served with electricity and heated with natural gas. Modern baths and showers and cooking facilities. Convenient to all shopping and services in town."


We-Asku-Inn - Historic Mile 2.6

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "First stop on the highway. Here there are clean and comfortable rustic log cabins, with housekeeping facilities, and electricity. Inner-spring mattresses assure a good night's rest, and as this place is located on a farm, milk, fresh eggs, vegetables, are usually available in season. The camp, operated by Gwen and Carl Dohle, also maintains good parking grounds for trailerites and campers."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "First stop on the highway. Here there are clean and comfortable rustic log cabins, with housekeeping facilities, and electricity. Innerspring mattresses assure a good night's rest, and as this place is located on a farm, milk, fresh eggs, vegetables, are usually available in season. The camp, operated by Gwen Dohle, also maintains parking grounds for trailerites and campers, with electric connections."


Peace River Bridge - Historic Mile 34, Km 55.4


Taylor Hotel - Historic Mile 35.5

  *   November 20, 1957, Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "Taylor Hotel - Mile 35.5. Taylor, B.C. New - open 3 months with 26 rooms - 15 with private bath. 24 hour service. Located in the Peace river district. Large dining room serving excellent meals with NORGAS used exclusively in their modern kitchens."


Fort St. John - Historic Mile 48, Km 75.6


Bedore's Motel - Historic Mile 48

  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Bedore's Motel )AHA) - (left northbound, opp. n. junct. Ft. St. John) a new establishment completed in 1953, providing 12 modern motel units, each with private bath (shower). All beds are equipped with soft innerspring mattresses, and there are extra bed-chairs for children. All units have individual propane heating, hot and cold running water, clothes closets, and guests are welcome at any hour of the day or night. Owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. A. Bedore."


Condill Hotel, Fort St. John, 1957

Condill Hotel, Alaska Highway, 1958

Condill Hotel: Historic Mile 48

The ad to the left is from The Fairbanks New-Miner Progress Edition, November 20, 1957.
Photo: Bill Lythgoe, ca. 1958.

  *   1942, Con Hergot and Joe Dill built the hotel as a place for American soldiers to stay during the construction of the Alaska Highway. November 19, 1942: "The new Condill Hotel, a modern structure of 40 rooms, cafe and two beverage parlors, was opened to the public at Fort St. John this week. This relieves the accommodation shortage to some extent, but it is still difficult to secure lodging in this northern boom town. During the summer travellers slept in their cars or on benches in the few hotel lobbies." (The Vancouver Province)
  *   "Alaska and the Alaska Highway" (AAA, 1950): 35 rooms, 6 baths. Single $2 to $3.50, double $3 to $5.50. Comfortable, well kept.
  *   The Milepost, 1952: "A modern, quiet hotel, right in the center of historic Fort St. John, spotless and airy rooms, with or without bath. Cafe in connection. Up-to-date garage service and stores, both adjacent to hotel, make the Condill an ideal spot for a refreshing rest and break in your trip."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: same text as 1952.
  *   Lou Jacobin's 1958 "Guide to Alaska and the Yukon" listing: Located in center of historic Fort St. John; quiet, modern hotel with clean, well-ventilated rooms with or without bath. Good cafe; complete garage service and stores adjacent to hotel. A new 15 room addition is planned for 1957. Manager, A. R. Andrews.
  *   2017, the City bought the hotel from owners Leo and Elaine Budnick, with the plan to demolish the hotel and sell the land for redevelopment under the city's downtown revitalization plan. The total cost of purchase and demolition was expected to be about $2.2 million. Demolition began in May 2018.


Charlie Lake Motel - Historic Mile 51.5

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Charlie Lake Hotel, Garage and Store, at the highway settlement of Charlie Lake, and across the highway from the pretty little lake of the same name. Comfortably furnished rooms with innerspring mattresses, baths, a cafe, a grocery and general merchandise store, gas, oil and minor car repairs offer. a very complete highway service. The cafe serves beef from the company's own 'T-BarX' Hereford cattle ranch, which is adjacent to Charlie Lake."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Charlie Lake Motel, (AHA) Cafe, Garage & Store. The motel is a completely new and modern building, with large well-insulated rooms, nicely furnished including soft innerspring mattresses, and with automatic gas heating. There are convenient baths and lavatories for each four units. The dining room and cafe counter are open from 7 a.m. to midnight, serving full dinners at regular hours, and short orders between times. Ice cream always available. Garage service includes general repairs, gas, oil and tires, open 24 hours. The store carries general merchandise including groceries. P.O., phone, and telegraph. The manager is C. P. Rolfson. Across the highway is Charlie Lake, popular spot for local outings, and near the lake is the T-Bar-X Hereford cattle ranch."
  *   November 20, 1957, Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "Charlie Lake Motel - Mile 52. Motel has 12 rooms and tub bath - inner spring mattresses - reading lamps - 24 hour service for your convenience. Rooms heated exclusively with NORGAS for your comfort."


The Shepherd's Inn, Alaska Highway, 1992 The Shepherd's Inn, Alaska Highway

The Shepherd's Inn, Alaska Highway

The Shepherd's Inn: Historic Mile 72, Km 115.4

The ad to the left is from The Milepost, 1992 edition.
Upper photo: June 20, 2004
Lower photo: February 26, 2015

  *   its origins are not yet clear, but it seems to have been a Country Kitchen franchise in the 1970s, then went bankrupt.
  *   In about 1981, the Country Kitchen was purchased by a group of conservative Christians known as The Move of the Spirit. Originally mostly Americans, they first moved to the Peace River district in the late 1960s, where they still live a communal lifestyle in several communities. As of 1991, about 50 people were living at the Shepherd's Inn commune (see articles in The Vancouver Sun of October 26, 1991 and September 22, 2003).
  *   in 1991, motel rooms were priced at $26.98.

Web site: TheShepherdsInn.ca


Wonowon - Historic Mile 101, Km 161.7


Blueberry Lodge - Historic Mile 101.5

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Blueberry Lodge, located at the site of the former Mounted Police traffic control gate operated during the war years. At present there is a cafe, rooms, new rustic cabins, groceries, trailer parking, and gas and oil service. Owned and operated by Dot and Dave Pierce."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Blueberry Lodge - with cafe and confectionery, and a separate grocery store. Overnight facilities include rooms (modern rest rooms convenient) and individual rustic log cabins. In addition there is gas and oil service with Standard and affiliated credit cards accepted, garage providing general auto repairs, with tires and tire repairs. This lodge was among the pioneer highway establishments, and is still owned and operated by its founders, Dot and Dave Pierce. Telephone and telegraph service is available at the maintenance and power 'repeater station' across the road."
  *   Lou Jacobin's 1958 "Guide to Alaska and the Yukon" listing: Well-known and entrance to a large wilderness area; lodge has new rustic cabins, cafe, rooms; gas, oil, tires; trailer parking; grocery store; telephone and telegraph service. Highway maintenance camp and first of many repeater stations (power "booster" plants supplying electricity for communications system.) New improvements include modern garage and service station; several modern rooms and cabins with showers and toilets; warm, comfortable, good spring mattresses; Pioneer lodge operated by Dot and Dave Peirce, owners.


The Limberlost - Historic Mile 130.2

  *   The Milepost, 1954: "A new log cabin court, snack bar and gas station, now under construction. Service at the start of this season should include gas and oil, (Texaco Products) and meals with short orders, steaks and chops, and sandwiches. Cabins will be available as completed, with innerspring beds and heaters. Owned and operated by Buck Kindt and staff."


Halfway Lodge - Historic Mile 143

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Halfway Lodge, about 75 yards from highway dust and noise, has reopened under new management and is undergoing constant improvement. A separate building houses sleeping rooms, a lounge room, showers and toilet. There is plenty of pure water from a 280 ft. well. The cafe specializes in short orders, featuring 'chicken in the rough.' Heated car storage, trailer parking space, and Texaco gas and oil complete the services. Operated by Buck and Frieda Kindt."
  *   In 1954, this lodge was gone and Buck Kindt had taken his Texaco dealership and opened The Limberlost at Mile 130.2.


Pink Mountain Lodge, Alaska Highway
Pink Mountain Lodge: Historic Mile 143, Km 225.9.

Photo: Bill Lythgoe, ca. 1963.


Beatton River Hotel - Historic Mile 147

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Beatton River Hotel, to your right (northbound) and on the banks of the Beatton River. Large homelike rooms, home cooking, gas and oil, and reliable information on hunting and fishing in the region, pack and saddle horses, hunting and fishing licenses, are all available. The operator is a licensed big game guide, and welcomes mail inquiries from sportsmen. Owned and operated by Bill and Ruth Longhurst."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "No 1954 information."


Beatton River Lodge: Historic Mile 147, Alaska Highway
Anderson's Beatton River Lodge: Historic Mile 147

Photo: 1948 postcard

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Beatton River Lodge, to your left, (northbound) with meals, rooms, cabins, tub and shower baths, and a general merchandise store. There is also gas and oil, minor repair service, and tires available. This lodge will furnish information on hunting and fishing in the vicinity and has for sale both raw and finished furs. The owners and operators are Lila and Jim Anderson."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Beatton River Lodge - to the left, northbound, with meals, cabins, rooms, tub and shower baths, and a general merchandise store, including raw and finished furs for sale. Car service includes gas and oil - B.A. and affiliated credit cards, garage with heated storage, tires, repairs, towing and special hauling service. Information is given on local hunting and fishing. This is also the Pink Mountain P.O. Owned and operated by Jim and Lila Anderson."
  *   October 5, 1959, Jim Anderson was killed when the panel truck he was a passenger in crashed near Mile 188.
  *   December 2, 1966, Vancouver Sun outdoors writer Lee Straight stated in article that they hunted Pink Mountain because Beatton River Lodge has rooms and 24-hour meal service, "which latter is a rare and wonderful find for anglers and hunters who like to rise early."
  *   March 25, 1967: "The Beatton River Lodge, a landmark at Mile 147, burned to the ground Wednesday [March 22]. It was built by Jim Anderson and has served since as a lodge, cafe, store and trading post. The explosion of an oil stove removed it from the scene." (Edmonton Journal)


Mae's Kitchen: Historic Mile 147, Km 232.5, Alaska Highway

Mae's Kitchen: Historic Mile 147, Km 232.5, Alaska Highway

Mae's Kitchen: Historic Mile 147, Km 232.5

Upper photo: A display title "May's Cafe" at Expo 86 in Vancouver was modelled after Mae's Kitchen.
Lower photo: September 12, 2016

  *   In an article in The Vancouver Sun on May 22, 2001, Larry Pynn said that Mae's Kitchen was "a popular eatery run by a religious commune."


Sikanni Chief Lodge - Historic Mile 162, Km 256.5


Masson Creek Lodge, Alaska Highway, 1964

Mason Creek Lodge - Historic Mile 171

Ad: Yellow Pages, 1964.

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Mason Creek Lodge, 'the pioneer spot of real western hospitality,' giving service from 6 a.m. to midnight. The cafe serves home-cooked meals, soft drinks, confectionery, and supplies for campers and trailerites are sold. Choice of cabins or comfortable rooms. Convenient showers or tub bath are planned for 1952 season. Other services include garage with complete car repairs, gas and oil, lubrication and greasing, tires and tubes, free air for both motorists and truckers, heated car storage during winter, and trailer space with 110 volt plug-ins. Operated by Jack Martin and staff."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Mason Creek Lodge - hours 6 a.m. to midnight. There is a cafe, rooms or cabins, groceries for campers, and trailer space. Showers are being installed for 1954. Car service includes gas and oil, a garage with repairs and limited warm storage, tires and lubrication. Credit cards accepted. Now under new management - owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. R. L. McPherson."
  *   November 20, 1957, Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "Mason Creek Lodge - Mile 171. Car service with gas & oil with BA and affiliated credit cards accepted. Lubrication, tires and general repair & limited warm storage. Cafe with meals serving from 6 a.m. to midnight. 8 rooms with convenient baths. Operated by the McGuire Family."
  *   Lou Jacobin's 1958 "Guide to Alaska and the Yukon" listing: The McGuires, who have taken over the management of the lodge, have cabins; rooms; cafe; grocery store; heated storage for cars; plug-ins for trailers. Plug in for block heating, heated garage and towing service. B&A gas and oil, tires, repairs.


Buckinghorse River Lodge, Alaska Highway
Buckinghorse River Lodge: Historic Mile 175, Km 279

Photo: June 20, 2004


Bunny's Lodge, Alaska Highway
Bunny's Lodge: Historic Mile 195

Ad: The Milepost, 1970.

  *   The Milepost, 1970: "Bunny's Lodge - Overnight parking, spaces for tents. Tables and cookhouse on parking lot. Showers, coffee bar, groceries, ice, gas and oil. All credit cards accepted. Top of Trutch Mountain, viewpoint of Rocky Mountains and Minaker Valley. Ev and Bud Bunney. Phone 773-6357."


Trutch Lodge, Alaska Highway
Trutch Lodge: Historic Mile 201 (the highway has been re-routed so there is no modern Km equivalent).

Photo: Bill Lythgoe, June 20, 1959.

  *   July 6, 1945, Imperial Oil has opened service stations at Fort St. John, Trutch, Muncho Lake and Fort Nelson, and others are planned. Harry Noakes, well-known Ontario man, has charge at Trutch. Read the entire article here.

  *   March 30, 1946: "The facilities along the highway are utterly inadequate to accommodate a large number of tourists. Civilian motorists can buy gasoline at Fort St. John (Mile 49), Trutch (Mile 201), Fort Nelson (Mile 300), Muncho Lake (Mile 456) and Whitehorse (Mile 917)." (The Record-Herald, Washington C.H., Ohio)
  *   April 1948, gas and oil are available.
  *   June 1951, gas prices rise steadily as you go up the highway. Dawson Creek 47 cents per gallon, Trutch 57.4 cents, Watson Lake 67.4 cents.
  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Trutch Lodge, close to the summit of Trutch Mountain, with a coffee shop, rooms, and service station. This spot has a fine panoramic view of some of the best game areas of this mountain region, and the owner, who is a 'Class A' licensed guide, will arrange for hunting parties seeking Stone sheep, Grizzly bear, Caribou, Goat, and Moose. First class pack train and camping equipment are maintained here for sportsmen. Mail inquiries are solicited. Owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Don Peck."
  *   June 1953, a hotel and garage are being operated by Don Peck and his wife. Another report says that "a single building is a combination cafe and general store. Bearded truck drivers and construction workers fill the circular counter.
  *   The Milepost, 1954: same text as 1952.
  *   November 20, 1957, Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "Trutch Lodge - Mile 200. Esso Gas - General Store - Good hunting and fishing area with licenses sold here. Cafe serving hot meals until 9 P.M. - Sandwiches til Midnight. Rooms with semi-private bath. Complete garage service. 'Class A' licenses guide service will arrange for hunting parties. Mail inquiries solicited. Owned and Operated by Mr. and Mrs. Don Peck."
  *   May 1959, looking for waitresses - $5.50 per shift plus room and board.
  *   April 27, 1963: "For sale: new 2 bay Standard Oil station, licenced restaurant, 600' frontage, all modern equipment, all utilities. Low down payment. Reason illness." (Vancouver Sun)
  *   Californians Harold and Marcellin Jolley and their 7 children, reported missing in mid-May, were found working at the Trutch lodge. Their discovery was widely reported across North America.
  *   August 31, 1963: "For lease: Trutch Lodge Cafe on Alaska Highway. Fully equipped and in operation by owners. Beer and wine licenses. Normal daily turnover in excess of $200. Rent and term of lease negotiable. Phone Martin, Fort Nelson 3B or write Trutch Lodge..." (Vancouver Sun). In November, Martin had for sale a 110-room hotel in downtown Tacoma, Washington; "seller endeavouring to consolidate his assets in the northern part of the country."
  *   October 1964, advertising for a waitress: "Top wages. Phone 6411 Trutch, collect, or Mr. or Mrs. Henderson." (Edmonton Journal)
  *   March 4, 1968, Trutch Lodge cook Ronald Savard, 48 years old, died at the lodge. He was buried at Ladysmith, BC.


Dutch Mill Lodge: Historic Mile 232.8

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "The Dutch Mill, offering meals, both sleeping and housekeeping cabins, shower baths, gas and oil, tires and accessories. There is space for both trailerites and campers, and groceries are sold, including ice cream and soft drinks. Tire and minor car repairs may be had, and there are some good camera opportunities offered by the Prophet River Valley and its surrounding mountain peaks. The owners and operators are Mr. and Mrs. Alex Bujold."
  *   Lou Jacobin's 1958 "Guide to Alaska and the Yukon" listing: A friendly atmosphere and spotless surroundings greet you at the Dutch Mill Lodge. The place is being remodeled and many improvements are planned by Earl and Maria Englesby, who recently took over the management. Present conveniences include cozy cabins, clean rooms, shower bath; cafe serving good meals; groceries and souvenirs; gas, oil, tires and minor repairs. Open 'til midnight.


Lum 'n' Abner's (Prophet River Services), Alaska Highway

Lum 'n' Abner's (Prophet River Services), Alaska Highway

Lum 'n' Abner's (Prophet River Services): Historic Mile 233, Km 364.7

Both photos: May 16, 2013

  *   "Alaska and the Alaska Highway" (AAA, 1950): Lum and Abner, 9 units, 2 baths. Double $4 to $5. Plain.
  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Lum 'n Abner’s, at the sign of the 'Long Tramp' - a colorful and authentic north country trading post, with 8 real log cabins having screen-porches, and equipped with beds with innerspring mattresses. There is a separate bath house with showers, and a cafe open from 7 a.m. to midnight, (home-made pies are for sale). The store handles groceries, soft drinks, Indian handicrafts, clothing and furs. Gas and oil, tires and tire repairs, with night service in emergencies, and telephone. Fishing may be found in the Prophet River, about 2 miles by trail. The owners and operators are the Boyes Brothers."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Lum ‘N Abner's - at the sign of 'The long tramp,' an authentic trading post of pioneer days, with 8 real log cabins equipped with innerspring mattresses, screen porches and oil heaters. The cafe and trading post is open from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. for regular meals, service thereafter is sandwiches, snacks and home made pies. The store carries groceries and confections. A shower bath and rest rooms are convenient in a separate building. Gas and oil (B.A. and affiliated credits cards accepted), tires and tire repairs and telephone complete the services. The owners and Operators are Mr. and Mrs. Frank Dolan, and Mr. and Mrs. Lonzo Turner."
  *   The Milepost, 1957: "Lum 'N Abner's - cabins, cafe, store - at the sign of "The long tramp," an authentic trading post of pioneer days, with 8 real log cabins equipped with innerspring mattress, screen porches & oil heaters. The cafe & trading post is open from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. for regular meals, service thereafter is sandwiches, snacks & home made pies. The store carries groceries & confections. Newly remodeled central. showers & plumbing facilities. Gas & oil (B.A. & affiliated credit cards accepted), tires & tire repairs & telephone complete the services. The owners & operators are Mr. & Mrs. Frank Dolan."
  *   In the late 1950s, Ray and Danielle Francouer arrived from Quebec, and with Ray's mother and her husband, Anne and Bob Chilson, bought the lodge. They left in 1962.
  *   In about 2000, a discount fuel operation opened right across the highway from Lum 'n' Abner's. It expanded to include a convenience store, and drove Lum 'n' Abner's out of business by about 2010. A couple of years later, the discount operation closed as well.


Hilltop Service (Last Resort): Historic Mile 278.7

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Hilltop Service, Milepost 278.7. Facilities include 2 private cabins for families, with optional housekeeping privileges, and 2 sleeping rooms with double beds and innerspring mattresses, and a separate bunkhouse for truckers. Gas and oil service and meals served from 7 a.m. to midnight. Owned and operated by Roy and Agnes Long."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Hilltop Service - with 2 private cabins for families (optional housekeeping privileges), sleeping rooms with double beds and innerspring mattresses, and a separate bunkhouse for truckers. Showers are planned by August. Cafe and gas and oil service from 7 a.m. to midnight. Firestone tires are sold, and all credit cards accepted. Owned and operated by Roy and Agnes Long."
  *   November 20, 1957,
Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "Last Resort (formerly Hiiltop Service) - Mile 278. Rooms with inner-spring mattresses and separate cabins available. All heating by NORGAS for your warm comfort. Cafe serving meals and sandwiches from 7 am to midnight. Gas and Oil service with BA and affiliated credit cards accepted."


The M&M Garage; Highway Sales & Auto Service: Historic Mile 295.5

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "The M & M Garage. 'The Guaranteed Auto Service.' This is a fully equipped repair shop and garage, supplying skilled and fast service on all makes of cars and trucks, including complete motor rebuilding and welding. The garage is owned and operated by two expert mechanics, who offer you 24 hour service, including repairs, gas and oil. There are cabins, a special bunkhouse maintained for truckers and a cafe in connection. Owned and operated by Jack Masters and Mickey McDonald."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Highway Sales & Auto Service, (AAA) (AHA) - providing general automotive repairs (truck specialists) electric and acetylene welding, tires, tire repairs, and an accessories store, gas, oil and diesel fuel, with all credit cards accepted. A cafe is operated in connection, also 3 housekeeping apartments and 3 overnight cabins. Service hours are from 7 a.m. to midnight. The owners and operators are Bill and Don Bates."


Fort Nelson - Historic Mile 300, Km 454.3


Muskwa Cafe & Cabins: Historic Mile 300

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Muskwa Cafe & Cabins, and Muskwa taxi service, Fort Nelson, B. C., located right on the highway, opposite the repeater station, (telephone and telegraph service at station). The Muskwa Cafe is operated for the highway traveler who wants anything from a light snack to a well prepared meal. Groceries, and gas and oil service are available here. The operators, who have been in the highway service business since 1944, are Nat and Haley Smith."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Muskwa Cafe, Cabins, Gas Service, located on the main highway opposite telephone and telegraph at the maintenance and repeater station. Open from 7 a.m. to midnight for all services. The cafe serves either snacks or full meals at all times. Both overnight cabins and a men's dormitory are maintained. Groceries are sold, and there is gas and oil service with Imperial and affiliated credit cards accepted. Operated by Tom and Irene Parker."


Avonlee Hotel: Historic Mile 300

  *   November 20, 1957, Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "Avonlee Hotel - Mile 300 Ft. Nelson. New modern hotel. 6 rooms with private bath, 12 with convenient baths. Each room centrally heated with hot water radiators. Cafe with meals from 6 A.M. to 11 P.M. Scheduled bus stop - Telephone & Telegraph Service. Mr. and Mrs. L. E. Secret, Props."


Fort Nelson Hotel, Alaska Highway

Fort Nelson Hotel, Alaska Highway

Fort Nelson Hotel: Historic Mile 300, Km 454.3

Both photos: Bill Lythgoe, ca. 1950s

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Fort Nelson Hotel, first established in 1946, is now being enlarged with a completely new and modern 2-story structure scheduled for completion early in the 1952 season. The present hotel is quite large, and offers rooms, modern shower baths, dining room service, and a beer parlor. Practically all highway conveniences are available at or near the hotel, including telephone and telegraph, garage, and store. This is a scheduled bus stop, so advance reservations are advised during the summer. The manager is James Bell."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Fort Nelson Hotel (AHA) - on the highway, in the center of the new settlement. First established in 1946, the hotel was remodeled and a two story addition added in 1952, with large rooms equipped with private baths, and furnished with innerspring mattresses. The hotel operates a dining room, a nearby garage, and a tavern in connection. Rooms, showers and modern plumbing are also available in the original building. Telephone and telegraph. Being a bus stop, advance reservations are advisable during summer."
  *   Lou Jacobin's 1958 "Guide to Alaska and the Yukon" listing: Modern two-story building; 44 rooms, many of them with private bath; established in 1946. Newly remodeled. This well-known hostelry, one of the better places along the Alaska Highway; dining room and beer parlor; telephone and telegraph; everything for the traveler; on scheduled bus stop; reservations advisable during tourist season. Charles H. Chausse, general manager.


1992 ad for Steamboat Mountain Lodge, Alaska Highway

Steamboat Mountain Lodge, Alaska Highway

Steamboat Mountain Lodge: Historic Mile 351, Km 531.6.

Ad: The Milepost, 1992 edition.
Photo: October 1, 2002.

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Meals rooms and gas may be available here. No information for 1952 at press time."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Steamboat Mountain Lodge, 2.2 miles from the summit of Steamboat Mountain, providing rooms, three family housekeeping cabins, a cafe open every day except Mondays from May 1 to October 1, and miscellaneous staple groceries. There is a garage offering general repairs, tires and tire repairs, and gas and oil with Imperial and affiliated credit cards accepted. Trailer space is available with limited power electric plug-ins. Owners and operators are Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Isbister."
  *   The Milepost, 1957: "Steamboat Mountain Lodge - located 2 miles from summit of Steamboat Mountain, with a cafe, sleeping rooms, 3 family-type housekeeping cabins, & garage with general auto repair service, tires & tire repairs, & Imperial gas & oil with this list of credit cards honored. Cafe is open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Lodge operates all year, but all services are closed on Saturdays. Owned & operated by A. E. Isbister."
  *   December 12, 1979: "Steamboat Mountain Lodge, Mile 357, Alaska Highway. Cafe, living quarters, 4 pump, 40' x 50' garage, lodging, camping, much more, beautiful location. Good income. $85,000. Ph. 604 774-6011." (Whitehorse Star and several BC newspapers)
  *   August 7, 1982: "Steamboat Mountain Lodge, Alaska Highway, B.C. Priced for quick sale. $30,000 down. Will carry balance of $45,000 at 12%. 1-604-774-6011 or 1-604-774-9415," (Edmonton Journal)
  *   Destroyed by fire in September 2016.


Tetsa River Lodge, Alaska Highway

Tetsa River Lodge, Alaska Highway

Tetsa River Lodge: Historic Mile 375, Km 571.7.

Upper photo: August 31, 2011
Lower photo: June 20, 2004


Summit Lake Lodge, Alaska Highway, 1971

Summit Lake Lodge, Alaska Highway

Summit Lake Lodge, Alaska Highway

The Summit; Summit Lake Lodge; Summit Lake Hotel: Historic Mile 392, Km 597

Ad: The Milepost, 1971 edition.
Upper photo: May 16, 2013
Lower photo: July 7, 2014

  *   July 13, 1947 listing of lodges: "Mile 392, Summit Lake, B.C. - Meals, gas and oil, minor repairs, six beds." (Spokane Spokesman-Review)
  *   1948-1951, owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Ellis and Billie Clark.
  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Summit Lake Hotel, Cafe and Store, a few hundred yards from the shore of beautiful Summit Lake. The lake is nestled in a small mountain valley at the highest point on the highway (elevation 4250 ft.). The hotel features oil-heated double and single rooms with innerspring mattresses, and is immaculately clean. Hot shower baths, private cabins, a cafe and store, telephone and telegraph, trailer space with electric connections, and a garage with full repair service including electric and acetylene welding, towing, gas, oil and tires, make up a most complete service. This is an Imperial Oil Station and accepts Standard Oil credit cards. Licensed guide may be obtained for hunting in this beautiful mountain country. Owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. B. E. Clarke."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Summit Lake Hotel - Cafe and store, located a few hundred yards from Summit Lake. The hotel has oil-heated rooms, single or double, equipped with inner-spring mattresses, modern showers and plumbing convenient to rooms, and a large cafe and store in connection. Telephone and telegraph service, and a garage supplying com- plete repairs including electric or acetylene welding, heated car storage, gas and oil, Standard Oil credit cards accepted, tires, and towing service comprise a very complete list of facilities. Licensed guide may be obtained here for hunting in this mountain region. Owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Burnett."
  *   1957: "Summit Lake Hotel, Cafe & Garage. One of the pioneer places on the highway, this hotel has oil-heated single or double sleeping rooms, innerspring beds, detached modern showers & plumbing, a large cafe, groceries & souvenirs, complete garage service, Standard gas & oil with this list of credit cards honored, tires & tire repairs, warm storage for cars, & towing service. Under new management for 1957." (The Milepost)
  *   November 20, 1957, Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "The Summit - Mile 392. Hotel has oil heated rooms - single or double - inner-spring mattresses. Modern showers and plumbing convenient to rooms. A large cafe serving good meals and store in connection. Garage with All Types of Repairs. Heated car storage. Standard Gas & Oil with affiliated cards accepted."
  *   November 20, 1957: "At the end of our first day we stopped at a hotel near Mile 392. We stepped into the warm lobby and found it like something out of gold rush days. In one corner were three men in flannel shirts working on a jigsaw puzzle. Other men dozed in chairs about the room. We were shown a small room with a bed, chair, table, lamp and small, wooden-framed mirror on the wall which was covered with flowered wallpaper. The wall facing the hallway touched neither the ceiling nor the floor. I suppose this was to allow passage of heat into the room. The hotel had two bathrooms, one for men and one for women. These were down the hallway. Too late for the dinner hour, we had soup and a sandwich." (Article by Ramona Demery in The Tampa Tribune)
  *   July 1966, gas is 68 cents per gallon according to an article in the Des Moines Register of July 10th. In Whitehorse the author got $107.38 for $100 of American money.
  *   June 30, 1973: "Mile 392 (Summit Lake). Cafe - Garage - Motel - Auto-wrecking business. Only Lodge at the Sumit - year round business. This is rocky mtn. sheep country. Profit & Loss statement shows 1/4 million dollars worth of business. Cafeteria style cafe - 10 sleeping units plus quarters for staff and owners. Modern garage, 2 winch trucks, welding shop etc. Asking $235,000." (The Vancouver Sun)
  *   September 13, 1978, the obituary of Delma Josephine Steele says "she was a part owner of a lodge at Mile 392 of the Alaska Highway." (The Chilliwack Progress)
  *   1980, owned and operated by Jim Voight, farmer, trapper, guide, and outfitter.
  *   May 1986, an ad appeared in many BC newspapers: "SUMMIT Lodge, mile 392, Alaska Highway. Cafe, Motel, Souvenirs, two-bay garage with hoist, Esso dealership, grossing $500,000. Asking $295,000. Phone (604) 232-5531."
  *   1992: "Historical Mile 392. Summit Lake. Lodge with cafe, grocery, gas, food and lodging Open year-round." (The Milepost)


Rocky Mountain Lodge, Alaska Highway, 1971

Rocky Mountain Lodge, Alaska Highway

Rocky Mountain Auto Court (Rocky Mountain Lodge), Alaska Highway

Rocky Mountain Auto Court; Rocky Mountain Lodge: Historic Mile 397, Km 605.7

Ad: The Milepost, 1971 edition.
Upper photo: January 29, 2006
Lower photo (approaching the lodge from the north): February 25, 2014

  *   "Alaska and the Alaska Highway" (AAA, 1950): "Rocky Mountain Auto Court. 8 units, 2 baths. Double $3.50 to $4.50. Neat, modest rooms; good wholesome food."
  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Rocky Mountain Auto Court, in a wild mountain setting on McDonald Creek. The rooms are furnished with innerspring mattresses, there are hot showers, a cafe and cabins equipped with oil heaters. Gas and oil service, heated car storage, trailer space, guide available for sportsmen, mountain climbing for the hikers, and trout fishing are all to be found here. The owners and operators are Mr. and Mrs. L. Abel."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Rocky Mountain Auto Court, in a wild mountain setting near McDonald Creek. The rooms are furnished with innerspring mattresses, there are hot showers, a cafe, and cabins equipped with oil heaters. Gas and oil service (B.A. and affiliated credit cards), heated car storage, trailer space, guide available for sportsmen, mountain climbing for the hikers, and trout fishing are all to be found here. American owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. D. D. DeMasters and Son."
  *   November 20, 1957,
Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "Rocky Mountain Auto Court - Mile 397. Rooms furnished with inner-spring mattresses, there are hot showers, a cafe, and cabins. BA Gas and affiliated cards accepted with tires sold and repaired. American owned & operated by Mr. & Mrs. D. D. DeMasters & Sons.


Circle T Service, Alaska Highway
MacDonald River Services, Alaska Highway

Circle "T" Service (MacDonald River Services lodge): Historic Mile 408, Km 624.8

Ad: The Milepost, 1971 edition.
Photo: January 29, 2006

  *   1971, cafe, motel, gas, diesel, tire repairs; operated by Rex and Taffy Hatchard.


Toad River Lodge, Alaska Highway

Toad River Lodge, Alaska Highway

Toad River Lodge, Alaska Highway

Toad River Lodge (Toad River Lodge & RV Park): Historic Mile 422, Km 647.4

Ad: The Milepost, 1971 edition.
Both photos: February 25, 2014

  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Toad River Lodge, specializing in big game hunting and fishing trips; pack trains and licensed guides available and saddle horses for hire. The lodge is well arranged with modern rooms and showers, fine home cooking, a cozy lounge, and clean private cabins. Meals are served from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and light lunches at any time of day. There is gas and oil service, a garage with complete auto repairs including lubrication and tire repairs, and tires are carried. Here you are in the heart of the famed Stone sheep and mountain goat region of the northern Rockies, in which area are also found moose, caribou, and grizzly bear. The lodge is owned and operated by the Callison brothers, Lash and Dennis, the well-known guides, and their wives."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Toad River Lodge (AHA) - featuring big game hunting and fishing trips, with pack trains and licensed guides available and saddle horses for hire. The lodge has single and double rooms, modern plumbing and two shower baths, a cafe, lounge room with game trophies on display, and telephone service. Cafe hours are from 7 a.m, to 9 p.m. with light lunches served between meal times. Gas, oil (Union Oil and affiliated credit cards) and garage offering complete repairs including lubrication and tires, and tires for sale. Owned by Mr. and Mrs. Lash Callison and Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Callison, The Callison Brothers are widely known guides."
  *   "Alaska Highway, Road to Yukon Adventure" (Canadian Government Travel Bureau, 1959): "Accom., meals, gas & oil, repairs, trailer space, guide service for big game." Accommodates 25 people, has telephone and/or telegraph service.
  *   December 4, 1974, Lash Callison, his wife Winnie, and his brother Dennis "had" the lodge at Toad River (Whitehorse Star).
  *   In the Spring of 1999, the lodge was bought by Matthew Roy and Darrell Stevens, who grew up on neighboring family farms in Edson, Alberta.
  *   On May 1, 2021, with a new lodge building completed, the old lodge was demolished.

Web site: ToadRiverLodge.com


The Poplars Motel & RV Park, Alaska Highway
The Poplars Motel & RV Park: Historic Mile 426, Km 652

Photo: January 30, 2006

Web site: PoplarsCampground.weebly.com.


The Village lodge, Alaska Highway

The Village Inn, Alaska Highway

The Village lodge, Alaska Highway

The Village (The Village Inn): Historic Mile 442, Km 679.

Upper photo: Bill Lythgoe, ca. 1958.
Ad: The Milepost, 1970 and 1971 editions.
Lower photo: January 29, 2006

  *   "While at the University of California, Santa Barbara, I met Jerry Walker, and in 1951, when I was fifty and Jerry forty-six, we were married. The lure of the North was still strong in me. I quit my job and in spring of 1952 we went north and built and operated a hunting and fishing lodge on the Alaska Highway near Muncho Lake, known as The Village Inn. Jerry and I were a happy team until 1964. We then decided to sell out the Village, which we had taken twelve hardworking years to build from scratch, and return to California. Shortly before we were ready to leave she died in her sleep from a heart attack." (Anton Money, "This Was the North").
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "The Village - a new type of highway establishment now under construction but open for business, has cabins equipped with complete housekeeping facilities, a grocery and general merchandise store, and free trailer parking space (no un-hitching necessary.) 100 yds. off the highway, enough to escape noise and dust, and in the heart of a fine fishing and hunting area, Guides available. A pleasant woodsy spot with a clear stream and surrounded by the peaks of the Rockies. Owned and operated by Anton and Jerry Money."
  *   November 20, 1957, Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "The Village. Mile 442. Gas & Oil service with BA and affiliated cards accepted. Scenic cabins and free trailer parking. Guide service available in wonderful hunting & fishing area. Merchandise store & cafe serving meals."
  *   "Alaska Highway, Road to Yukon Adventure" (Canadian Government Travel Bureau, 1959): "Accom., some housekeeping, with showers, meals, gas & oil, repairs, store, trailer park, campground, laundry, guide services (20 horses) available for big game hunting." Accommodates 35 people.
  *   March 19, 1971: "Be Your Own Mayor. The Village Inn Mile 442 Alaska Highway consists of inn, cafe, with liquor licence, store, cottages with kitchens, dormitory with showers, trailer park, Union 76 service station handling minor repairs. Tires, arc-welding and storage, Bombardier Ski-Doo dealership. All this situated on approx. 4 acres. Good hunting and fishing, excellent income improving annually. $30,000 down will handle. Phone W. Lingor..." (Vancouver Sun)
  *   November 11, 1971: "Established Business, Lodge and Service Station 'The Village Inn and Union 76 Service' features Licenced Dining Room, Hotel and Modern Motel, Cabins, Store, Trailer Park, Two Bay Garage with compressor, tire changer, misc, automotive equip., welding equip., Ski-doo Dealership. Nine month operation, Full price $85,000 with $25,000 Down Payment. Second owners look into this now, take over in the Spring. Write Mr. N. Mantie (owner), Mile 442, Alaska Highway, B.C." (Financial Post)
  *   July 1974, many travellers are stranded at The Village and other places when the Alaska Highway is closed by flooding for over a week. Read an article from July 22nd here.


The Oasis: Historic Mile 450

  *   The Milepost, 1954: "The Oasis, Texaco Station and Coffee Bar - offering gas and oil, lubrication, minor repairs and tire repairs. Texaco and affiliated credit cards are accepted. Gas service 24 hours. located across from Little Echo Lake. Mr. and Mrs. Bill Baron, opts."


Double G Services lodge, Alaska Highway


Double G Services lodge, Alaska Highway
Double G Services (Motoring Service): Historic Mile 456, Km 698.7

Upper photo: January 29, 2006
Lower photo: Southbound on August 28, 2017, with Double G Services and the Muncho Lake post office ahead on the left, and then the BC Highways camp on the right.

  *   March 30, 1946: "The facilities along the highway are utterly inadequate to accommodate a large number of tourists. Civilian motorists can buy gasoline at Fort St. John (Mile 49), Trutch (Mile 201), Fort Nelson (Mile 300), Muncho Lake (Mile 456) and Whitehorse (Mile 917)." (The Record-Herald, Washington C.H., Ohio)
  *   July 13, 1947 listing of lodges: "Mile 456, Muncho Lake, B.C. - Meals, gas and oil." (Spokane Spokesman-Review)
  *   June 8, 1948: "Late reports say at least one oil company's gasoline credit card is good to Mile 456 at Muncho Lake, B.C. Beyond that gas can be had for cash at most of the roadhouses." (The Province, Vancouver, BC)
  *   August 28, 1951, an ad looking for a teacher at the 1-room, 15-student Muncho Lake School includes the comment "An additional monthly allowance will be given applicant with car for transportation of three children from nearby Lodge to Muncho Lake School." (Saskatoon Star-Phoenix)
  *   The Milepost, 1957 edition: "Motoring Service - Just north of maintenance camp, open 24 hours on call, throughout the year, with Esso Ethyl & regular gas service, & Esso & affiliated credit cards honored. General auto repairing, with experienced mechanic on duty, acetylene & arc welding, Atlas tire & tire repairing, convenient to telegraph & telephone service. Owned & operated by E. B. Wilkinson & Burton E. Taylor."
  *   February 27, 1985: Double G Services owner Jack Gunness talked to The Whitehorse Star about a protest by Alaska Highway lodge owners, 11 of which are closed to bring attention to their high costs of operation. They were asking for subsidies or tax relief.


Highland Glen Lodge, Alaska Highway

Northern Rockies Lodge, Alaska Highway

Northern Rockies Lodge, Alaska Highway

Northern Rockies Lodge (Highland Glen Lodge): - Historic Mile 462, Km 707.9

Ad: The Milepost, 1971 edition.
Both photos: February 25, 2014

  *   The original Highland Glen Lodge was built in the early 1950s by Scottish immigrants Jim and Betty Grant. As World War ll veterans, Jim and Betty were able to obtain the deed to the property just days before the region was turned into Muncho Lake Provincial Park.
  *   "Alaska Highway, Road to Yukon Adventure" (Canadian Government Travel Bureau, 1959): "Highland Glen Cabins. Accom., warm car storage, meals, gas & oil, store, boats and motors." Accommodates 18 people, has telephone and/or telegraph service.
  *   After the Grants retired in the mid 1970s, the property was purchased by Mr. Zimmermann, who operated it in absentia.
  *   Urs and Marianne Schildknecht, who had immigrated to Canada from Switzerland in 1979, bought the Highland Glen Lodge late in 1988, but soon realized that the existing buildings no longer met the expectations of many Alaska Highway travellers. In 1995, they built the new 14,000 square foot Northern Rockies Lodge. It is the largest year-round hotel and RV operation outside of any town on the Alaska Highway.

Web site: NorthernRockiesLodge.com.


Lakeview Lodge (Muncho Lake), Alaska Highway
Lakeview Lodge: Historic Mile 462

Photo: postcard, ca. 1960

  *   Charlie Brandt was the original builder/owner of the lodge, which was bought by Joe H. Bell in 1958. It burned in 1962. The Fort Nelson Public Library Archives has 2 photos and 1 postcard from the lodge in 1958-63.
  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Lakeview Lodge, on a rise above the highway about 400 feet from the shore, with a magnificent view of Muncho Lake. This lodge is well planned for the visitor who wants a pleasant stopping place close to the fine fishing and hunting. Good meals, clean rooms with innerspring mattresses, shower baths, a lounge with fireplace, heated garage, gas and oil, emergency towing service to nearest repair stop, family cabins, groceries, and motorboat for hire, make up a very complete service. Unusual highway facilities are a public bath house and restrooms maintained at the service station. Resident owners are Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Brandt."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Lakeview Lodge (AHA) - about halfway between Whitehorse and Dawson Creek, on a rise above the highway about 400 ft. from and overlooking Muncho Lake. Although established in 1948, the lodge is still undergoing improvement to keep pace with increasing highway travel. Nicely located for those interested in fishing and hunting, with a motorboat for hire, the lodge provides clean rooms with innerspring beds, showers, dining room, store selling groceries confections and postcards, and gas and oil service, also emergency towing to nearest repair shop. One cabin is maintained for families or groups. Owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Brandt."
  *   "Alaska Highway, Canadian Section" (Canadian Government Travel Bureau, 1953): Brandt at Muncho. Acc., Meals, Store, Gas & Oil, Storage. Accommodates 18 people.
  *   "Alaska Highway, Road to Yukon Adventure" (Canadian Government Travel Bureau, 1959): Accom., meals, gas & oil, store, postal distribution, indoor swimming pool, bus stop. Accommodates 30 people.


Muncho Lake Lodge, Alaska Highway

Muncho Lake Lodge, Alaska Highway

Muncho Lake Lodge: Historic Mile 463, Km 710.1

Photo: Postcard, 1950s
Ad: The Milepost, 1971 edition.

  *   "Alaska and the Alaska Highway" (AAA, 1950): "Muncho Lake Lodge, 12 units, 2 baths. Double $2.50 to $4."
  *   The Milepost, 1952: "Muncho Lake Lodge, offering very comfortable rooms, most attractively furnished throughout in unusual rustic style. The beds are equipped with innerspring mattresses, and all rooms are located convenient to modern inside plumbing and showers. A new service is a nursery and change room for babies. The cafe in connection serves appetizing food. Boats and suitable fishing tackle are for rent for all who wish to try their luck in the lake, famous for its oversize trout. The service station handles gas and oil, and minor repairs, specializing in lubrication. The owners and operators are Mr. and Mrs. Paul Greenan."
  *   The Milepost, 1954: "Muncho Lake Lodge (AHA) - offering comfortable rooms, attractively furnished throughout in unusual rustic style. The beds are equipped with innerspring mattresses, and all rooms are located convenient to modern inside plumbing and showers. There is a cafe in connection, which also sells postcards and soft drinks. Boats and suitable fishing tackle are for rent for all who wish to try their luck in the lake, famous for its oversize trout. The service station handles gas and oil, and minor repairs, specializing in lubrication. The owners and operators are Mr. and Mrs. Paul Greenan."
  *   "Alaska Highway, Canadian Section" (Canadian Government Travel Bureau, 1953): Acc., Meals, Gas & Oil, Minor Repairs. Accommodates 10 people.
  *   November 20, 1957,
Fairbanks News-Miner Progress Edition: "Muncho Lake - Mile 463. On the beautiful Muncho Lake - 10 rooms with convenient bath & shower. Hand made birch beds, new improved facilities for trailers. Cafe serving meals. Guide service 1 mile."
  *   "Alaska Highway, Road to Yukon Adventure" (Canadian Government Travel Bureau, 1959): Accom., meals, gas & oil, minor car repairs. Accommodates 30 people.


Wiebe's Wilderness Motel and Fishing Camp, Alaska Highway, 1971
Wiebe's Wilderness Motel and Fishing Camp: Historic Mile 463.3

Ad: The Milepost, 1971 edition.

  *   1967, operated by John and Helen Wiebe.
  *   October 11, 1969: "Scenic Alaska Hiway business. Drive-In Cafe, Cabins, large garage (Gulf), store, boats, etc. 420 ft. both lake & hiway frontage. Tremendous gross increase yearly. Must sell, poor health. $100,000 cash, $110,000 terms. Wiebes Wilderness Motel & Fishing Camp, Mile 463.3 Alaska Hiway, Muncho Lake, B.C." (Vancouver Sun)
  *   May 4, 1970, a member of Wheelers Campgrounds, "Canada's first coast to coast chain of privately owned Campgrounds and Trailer Courts." (Edmonton Journal)
  *   November 13, 1971: "Thriving Resort on Alaska Hiway. Service station, licensed dining room, cabins, boating, etc. Seven acres on beautiful lake. Wiebes Wilderness Resort, Mile 463 Alaska Hiway, Muncho Lake, 8.C. 1-604-776-3453." (Edmonton Journal)
  *   January 222, 1972: "Thriving Resort on Lake. Garage, Licensed Restaurant, Cabins, Boats. 7 acres. Full price $175,000 or $100,000 for garage, restaurant. Wiebe’s Wilderness Resort, Mile 463, Alaska Hwy., Muncho Lake, B.C." (Calgary Herald)
  *   May 13, 1972: "Sacrifice - New Gulf Service Station, 50 seat licensed restaurant with view of mountains, lake, Grossing approx. $70,000, terms arranged. John Wiebe, Mile 463 Alaska Hwy., Muncho Lake." (Vancouver Sun)
  *   May 4, 1974: "Must sacrifice thriving business on beautiful Muncho Lake in northern B.C. 50 seat restaurant, gas & service station, boat rentals, motel, trailer camping. 7 acres with 420' on lake & 420' on Alaska Hwy. Residence and staff quarters. Grossed $100,000 in 7 mos. Will consider any reas. ofr. Il] health reason for selling. Write Wiebe Wilderness Resort, PO Box 38, Muncho Lake, B.C., or phone 776-3453 via Fort Nelson, B.C." (The Province)
  *   July 29, 1992: "July 17. We camped at Wiebe's Wilderness Resort (near Muncho Lake). The term 'store' in this part of the country consists of a few canned goods, milk at 65 cents a quart, hamburger (frozen) $1.45 a pound and the alternate of frozen wieners. In other words, what they can do without in the restaurant they will sell to the campers." (Terrace Standard)



Part 2: Lodges from Mile 496 to Mile 918 - Liard Hotsprings to Whitehorse

All photos are © 1990-2021 by Murray Lundberg, and are not to be reproduced without permission.