The word Tenakee is from the Tlingit word "tinaghu," meaning "Coppery Shield Bay." This refers to three copper shields, highly prized by the Tlingits, that were lost in a storm. Early prospectors and fishermen came to the site to wait out the winters and enjoy the natural hot springs in Tenakee. Around 1895, a large tub and building were constructed to provide a warm bathing place. In 1899, Ed Snyder Snyder's Mercantile, which still operates today. A post office arrived in 1903. Originally called Tenakee, the name was altered to Tenakee Springs in 1928. Improvements to the hot springs facilities were made in 1915 and 1929; the existing bathhouse was constructed in 1940. Several canneries operated in the area between 1916 and 1974. A logging camp operated for a time at Corner Bay.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development