The village reportedly was a fishing camp of the Ahtna Indian tribes who historically moved up and down the Copper River and its tributaries. Tazlina is Athabascan for "swift water." By 1900 a permanent village had been established on the north and south banks off the Tazlina River near its confluence with the Copper River. During the pipeline era, Tazlina developed around the old Copper Valley School, built to board students from all over the state. It closed in 1971, when local high schools were constructed in the remote areas of the state and boarding schools were discontinued.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development