The Kenai Peninsula has been the home of the Kenaitze Indians for hundreds of years. Sterling is a community that apparently had its name formalized in 1954 when a post office was established. An archaeological site, containing prehistoric house pits, has been discovered at the Isaac Walton Campground. The State Department of Natural Resources plans to excavate the site around 2002.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development