The History of Skwentna
Skwentna lies on the south bank of the Skwentna River at its junction with Eight Mile Creek, 62 miles north of Tyonek in the Mat-Su Borough. It lies at
approximately 61° 57' N Latitude, 151° 10' W Longitude (Sec. 29, T022N, R010W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Anchorage Recording District.
The area encompasses 399 sq. miles of land and 7 sq. miles of water.
The local name was derived from the river, and was first published in 1954 by the U.S. Geological Survey. A post office was opened in 1937.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development