The entire group of islands were called Semichi by the Russians. It is likely the same island called St. Abraham by Vitus Bering in 1741. The Station was developed during World War II as an Army Air base, and became an Air Force intelligence site. At its peak, the Station housed over 1,100 personnel. By 1980, the workforce had been reduced to 600. Shemya was closed in 1995; there is currently a small group of caretakers residing on the Station.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development