The History of Salcha
Salcha is located at the mouth of the Salcha River, 33 miles southeast of Fairbanks on the Richardson Highway, near what was once the Aurora Lodge. It lies at approximately 64°
28' N Latitude, 146° 56' W Longitude . The community is located in the Fairbanks Recording District. The area encompasses 31 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
The village was first reported in 1898 by the U.S. Geological Survey as "Salchaket," an Indian name meaning "mouth of the Salcha." The village was reported in 1904 as "Saltshatsheg."
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development