Port Graham was originally a cannery and wharf, as reported by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1909. A post office operated between 1938 and 1961. Many of the Native residents are Sugpiaq. A pink salmon hatchery became operational in 1991. In January 1998, the hatchery and village-owned salmon processing plant were destroyed by fire. The plant was rebuilt and re-opened in June 1999.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development