The Dena'ina Indians have occupied this area historically. The Dena'ina warred with Russian fur traders over trade practices in the early 1800s. The community was named for a man known as "Old Pedro," who lived in this area in the early 1900s. A post office was established in the village in 1936.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development