Nondalton is a Tanaina Indian name first recorded in 1909 by the U.S. Geological Survey. The village was originally located on the north shore of Six Mile Lake, but in 1940, wood depletion in the surrounding area and growing mud flats caused the village to move to its present location on the west shore. The post office, established in 1938, relocated with the villagers. Nondalton formed an incorporated city government in 1971.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development