The History of Noatak
Noatak is located on the west bank of the Noatak River, 55 miles north of Kotzebue and 70 miles north of the Arctic Circle. This is the only settlement
on the 396 mile-long Noatak River, just west of the 66-million acre Noatak National Preserve. It lies at approximately 67° 34' N Latitude, 162° 58' W
Longitude (Sec. 16, T025N, R019W, Kateel River Meridian). The community is located in the Kotzebue Recording District. The area encompasses 18 sq. miles
of land and 4 sq. miles of water.
It was established as a fishing and hunting camp in the 19th century. The rich resources of this region enabled the camp to develop into a permanent
settlement. The 1880 census listed the site as Noatagamut, which means "inland river people." A post office was established in 1940.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development