The Peninsula was historically used by Dena'ina Indians for fur-farming and fishing. In 1847, Grigorii and Mavra Kvasnikoff moved their large family from Kodiak to Ninilchik. Grigorii was a Russian Orthodox missionary from Moscow, and Mavra was a Russian-Sugpiaq from Kodiak - the daughter of Efim Rastorguev, a Russian shipbuilder, and Agrafena Petrovna, a Sugpiaq from Kodiak. The Transfiguration of Our Lord Russian Orthodox Church was constructed in 1846. By 1880, the U.S. Census found 53 "Creoles" living in Ninilchik. They subsisted on hunting, fur trapping, fishing, gardening and gold panning. All nine original Native founding families of Ninilchik are descendants of the Kvasnikoffs. In 1896, a school was built, and in 1901, the Russian Orthodox Church was redesigned and constructed at its current site. A post office was established in 1925. The 1940s brought a number of homesteaders to the area. In 1949, Berman Packing Company began fish canning operations. In 1950, the Sterling Highway had been completed through Ninilchik.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development