The bay was named by Lt. Dall of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1880. A salmon cannery operated at this site from the 1930s to the early 50s. A post office operated from 1952 to 1954. Several families moved from Perryville to Ivanof Bay in 1965 in search of better water sources and hunting grounds, and to pursue a peaceful lifestyle with religious freedom. There are two predominant families, the Kalmakoffs and the Calugans.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development