Kiatagmuit Eskimos originally lived on the north bank of the Kvichak River in the village of Kaskanak, and used Igiugig as a summer fish camp. At the turn of the century, these people moved upriver to the present site of Igiugig. Many locals can trace their roots back to the Branch River village. People from that village also moved to Igiugig as it began to develop. A post office was established in 1934, but was discontinued in 1954. Commercial and subsistence fishing sustain the community.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development