Hollis was a mining town at the turn of the century, with a population of over 1,000. Gold and silver were mined until about 1915. In 1953, it became a logging camp when a long-term timber contract was enacted with Ketchikan Pulp Co. It served as the base for timber operations on Prince of Wales Island until 1962, when the camp was moved 45 miles north to Thorne Bay. The area was permanently settled by in recent years through a state land disposal sale.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development