The History of Hobart Bay
Hobart Bay is on the Southeast mainland on the east shore of Stephens Passage, 74 miles northeast of Sitka. It lies at approximately 57° 24' N Latitude, 133° 28' W Longitude. The community
is located in the Petersburg Recording District. The area encompasses 72 sq. miles of land and 16 sq. miles of water.
The bay was named in 1889 by Lt. Comdr. Mansfield of the U.S. Navy. The site was first settled as a logging camp.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development