The Ahtna people have occupied this area for 5,000 to 7,000 years. Gulkana was originally established in 1903 as a telegraph station, and was named "Kulkana" after the nearby river. The Gulkana Roadhouse was built in the early 1900s by C.L. Hoyt, a fur dealer who ran the roadhouse until 1916. A store, post office and Orr stage station were located nearby. Gulkana was originally located across the river from its present site; it was cut in half during construction of the Richardson Highway during World War II. In the early 1950s, the first house was built at the new site. Chief Ewan and his family were the first Native residents, and eventually all of the villagers relocated.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development