The name of this Alutiiq village was first reported by Ivan Petroff in the 1880 census. At that time, the village was located on the southern tip of Chenega Island. A post office was established in 1946. The village was destroyed and over half of all residents perished by tsunamis in the Sound after the 1964 earthquake. The village was reestablished in the mid-1980s on Evans Island, although it is still named Chenega.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development