The area was used by the Yup'ik Eskimos as a seasonal subsistence site. Called "Akiakchagamiut" in the 1890 census, the village had a population of 43 at that time. A post office was established in 1934. It incorporated as a second class city in 1974, but the city government was dissolved in 1987 in favor of traditional village council governance.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development