To the ExploreNorth Home Page

Photos of the Grave of Father Judge at Dawson City, Yukon

The Grave of Father Judge at Dawson City, Yukon
A bronze plaque was erected between the grave and the Yukon River by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. It reads, in English, and French:
William Judge, S.J.

Father William Judge is remembered as the "Saint of Dawson." An American Jesuit missionary, he went to Alaska in 1890 to work among the Indians of the lower Yukon. He moved to Forty Mile in 1895, and when gold was discovered near Dawson he followed his parishioners there in 1897. Judge devoted himself totally to the physical and spiritual well-being of the miners. He built Dawson's first hospital, St. Mary's, and for one year single-handedly ran both it and his church. He was well-loved by the local people and his death caused wide-spread mourning throughout the community.

This photograph is © 2003-2017 by Murray Lundberg, and is not to be copied without express permission.
The bronze plaque near the grave of Father Judge at Dawson, Yukon