A Guide to Modern Chistochina, Alaska
Chistochina is located at mile 32.7 on the Tok Cutoff to the Glenn Highway, 42 miles northeast of Glennallen. Sinona Creek, Bolder Creek, Chistochina River and Copper River surround the village. It lies at approximately 62° 34' N Latitude, 144° 40'
W Longitude (Sec. 16, T009N, R004E, Copper River Meridian). The community is located in the Chitina Recording District. The area encompasses 17 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
Chistochina began as an Ahtna fish camp and a stopover place for traders and trappers. The village access road later became part of the Valdez-Eagle Trail, constructed by miners during the gold rush to the Eagle area in 1897. Chistochina Lodge was
built as a roadhouse for prospectors. The Trail was used for construction of U.S. Army Signal Corps telegraph lines from Valdez to Eagle between 1901 and 1904. Gold was mined along the upper Chistochina River and its runoff creeks. The area was
settled by homesteaders, although it has remained a traditional Native village.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development