Gene Binet climbed the Chilkoot Pass in 1895, and arrived in the Klondike in late December 1896. In 1902, Binet heard rumours of plans for the Mayo Landing townsite and after the site was surveyed, bought lots for a hotel and homestead and began building. He operated the Binet Bros. Hotel, and his farm supplied a new store addition with local produce. In 1922, Binet hired a carpenter to build this house for his new bride, Jewel. Jewel and their son lived in California during the winter months after 1932 and in 1938 Binet retired and moved to join his family. The Binet House was renovated in 1990 and is open during the summer as a Visitor Reception Centre and museum.