ExploreNorth, your resource center for exploring the circumpolar North

Return to the Home Page The ExploreNorth Blog About ExploreNorth Contact ExploreNorth

Search ExploreNorth
















































Whitehorse in January 1900



The History of Whitehorse, Yukon

The Klondike Nugget - January 31, 1900

New City at Whitehorse - January 31, 1900

    The terminal of the Whitehorse division of the White Pass & Yukon railroad has been definitely decided; there is no doubt but that a new town of considerable proportions is destined to spring up at that point on the Fiftymile river where rail and steamer meet.

    Everyone who has been over the route from Dawson by way of the upper river within the past two seasons will remember the little tented village at the lower end of the tramway a few hundred yards this side of the rapids for which the town is named. Whitehorse. If these same people go out that route after the first of next June they will find naught of the village of tents remaining save perhaps a few deserted frames of shacks. But directly across and on the opposite side of the river will be a scene of life and business activity. There will be the terminal of the railroad, and there will spring up a permanent town called Whitehorse.

    A townsite comprising 600 acres of land has been ceded to the railroad company, and on this tract will be plenty of room on which to construct all needed warehouses, sidings, etc., and still have a large tract available for business and residential purposes. Already lots to the value of $2, have been sold, the purchasers principally being those contemplating engaging in business and mercantile pursuits in the new town. The tract of land owned by the railroad company extends along the river for a distance of nearly two miles, and back sufficient distance to permit there being several streets parallel with the river. The railroad station and warehouses will be almost in the center of the townsite north and south and immediately on the river bank, where preliminary work on the construction of a large and commodious wharf of sufficient length to accommodate half a dozen big steamers at one time, is already under way.

    The work of grading the roadbed from Cariboo to Whitehorse is practically finished and all that remains is to put down ties and rails to complete that division of the road. The grading force has been moved up to Bennett lake, and is now at work on the 28 mile stretch of grade between Bennett and Cariboo. This connecting link will be a costly one to construct, as much of it will be through a mountain of rock similar to that encountered on the Skagway side of the summit above White Pass City and around Porcupine hill.

    Liuet. S. E. Adair, general agent for the Yukon country, with office sin the A. C. Co.'s building, has been notified by General Manager Hawkins that the company will be operating both freight and passenger trains to Whitehorse from Skagway by June of the present year and in ample time to meet and connect with the first steamers up the river after the opening of navigation.

    What, if any, excuse Bennett will have of continuing her existence and encumbering the earth after the road's terminus is move don down the great vale which leads to the Yukon is not apparent. When Bennett is relegated from the stage of action, no place on earth will be less mourned.

    That the shrill shriek of the locomotive will be heard inn Dawson within the next 30 months is by no means an improbability; on the contrary, it is a glaring possibility.