In response to increased mining on the Nolan and Wiseman Creeks in 1911, locals began to abandon Coldfoot, 10 miles to the south. Supplies were brought up the Koyukuk River to Wiseman Creek where a new town developed. It was first called "Wrights," then "Nolan," and finally Wiseman in 1923. The 414-mile North Slope Haul Road was constructed in 1974. Travel was restricted for the general public until December 1994. The road is now known as the Dalton Highway, named for James William Dalton, an Arctic engineer.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development