The Eskimo fish camp of "Nutchirviq" was located here. The bountiful resources of both the Fish and Niukluk Rivers supported the area's Native populations. White Mountain grew after the influx of prospectors during the gold rush of 1900. The first structure was a warehouse built by the miner Charles Lane to store supplies for his claim in the Council District. It was the site of a government-subsidized orphanage, which became an industrial school in 1926. A post office was opened in 1932.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development