The village was established in 1965 by families who moved from Togiak to avoid the recurrent flooding there. Some residents migrated from Quinhagak on Kuskokwim Bay. The people have strong cultural ties to the Yukon-Kuskokwim region, because many of their ancestors migrated to Togiak following the 1918-19 influenza epidemic. School was first conducted in the church during 1967-68. A school building was constructed in 1972, but it burned in 1976. A new school was built in 1978. A post office was established around 1977, although there have been some interruptions of service.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development