The History of Tuluksak
Tuluksak lies on the south bank of the Tuluksak River at its junction with the Kuskokwim River. The village is 35 miles northeast of
Bethel. It lies at approximately 61° 06' N Latitude, 160° 58' W Longitude (Sec. 27, T012N, R066W, Seward Meridian). The community is
located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 3 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
The name was first published in 1861 as "Tul'yagmyut," an Eskimo word meaning "related to loon." The 1880 U.S. Census noted a population
of 150 living in the village.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development