Also known as Moose Village and Moose Creek, it began as a trading post and riverboat landing to supply mining operations to the north. The first trading post opened in 1930, and a post office was established in 1935. Area Natives used these facilities, but it wasn't until the early 1960s that families established year-round residency and a school was constructed. Approximately 75 people lived in the village in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development