Redoubt St. Michael was built at nearby St. Michael by the Russian-American Company in 1833. The Eskimo village of "Atroik" or "Atowak" was recorded north of here in 1898 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. The Yup'ik name for the village is "Tapraq," and the name Stebbins was first recorded in 1900. The first U.S. Census occurred in 1950, indicating 80 Yup'ik Eskimos. Reindeer herding has occurred; there is an unmanaged herd on Stuart Island.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development