Sheldon Point was historically the location of summer fish camps, due to its location near the Black River. The village was first reported in 1950 when the U.S. Census recorded 43 residents. Its Yup'ik name is "Nunam Iqua," which means "end of the land." A man called Sheldon owned and operated a fish saltery at the site.
April 2000 - the community of 181 people has passed an ordinance to return to the traditional Yup'ik name Nunam Iqua.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development