The village was named after the Red Devil Mine, established in 1921 by Hans Halverson when numerous quicksilver deposits were discovered in the surrounding Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mountains. By 1933, the mine was producing substantial quantities of mercury. Although the mine changed ownership twice over the years, it continued to operate until 1971. The mine produced some 2.7 million pounds of mercury during its operation. A post office was established in 1957 and a state school opened in 1958.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development