The History of Port Clarence

Port Clarence is southwest of Teller and Brevig Mission. It was built on a sand spit by the bay of Port Clarence and Grantley Harbor on the Seward Peninsula. It lies at approximately 65 15' N Latitude, 166 30' W Longitude . The community is located in the Cape Nome Recording District. The area encompasses 36 sq. miles of land and 42 sq. miles of water.

The 1893 U.S. Census listed a collective village at this site with a population of 485, of which 236 were native and 249 were foreign. Their descendants are the residents of nearby Brevig Mission, Teller, and Wales.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development