Point Baker was named in 1793 by Capt. George Vancouver, who named it after the Second Lieutenant on his ship Discovery. The first floating fish packer came to Point Baker to buy fish in 1919, and trade continued in this fashion until the 1930s, when the Forest Service opened the area for homesites. During the 1920s and 1930s, up to 100 tents lined the harbor, occupied by hand-trollers. The first store was built in 1941, and a post office opened in 1942. In 1955, Point Baker was withdrawn from the Tongass National Forest. A floating dock was built by the State in 1961; larger docks replaced it in 1968.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development