The History of Pitka's Point
Pitka's Point is located near the junction of the Yukon and Andreafsky Rivers, 5 miles northwest of St. Mary's on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies 3 miles by road
from the St. Mary's airport. It lies at approximately 62° 02' N Latitude, 163° 17' W Longitude (Sec. 06, T022N, R076W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in
the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 1 sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.
Eskimos who first settled there called it "Nigiklik," a Yup'ik word meaning "to the north." It was first reported in 1898 by the U.S. Geological Survey. The village
was later renamed for a trader who opened a general store which was a branch of Northern Commercial Company.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development