The History of Nikiski

Nikiski is located on the Kenai Peninsula, 9 miles north of the City of Kenai, off of the Sterling Highway. It is also known as Port Nikiski and Nikishka. It lies at approximately 60 44' N Latitude, 151 19' W Longitude (Sec. 02, T006N, R012W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kenai Recording District. The area encompasses 28 sq. miles of land and 90 sq. miles of water.

Traditionally in Kenaitze Indian territory, the area was homesteaded in the 1940s, and grew with the discovery of oil on the Kenai Peninsula in 1957. By 1964, oil-related industries located here included Unocal, Phillips 66, Chevron and Tesoro.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development