Nelson Lagoon has been used historically as an Aleut summer fish camp. The resources of the lagoon and nearby Bear River are excellent. The lagoon was named in 1882 for Edward William Nelson of the U.S. Signal Corps, an explorer in the Yukon Delta region between 1877 and 1920. A salmon saltery operated from 1906 to 1917, which attracted Scandinavian fishermen, but there has been no cannery since. In 1965 a school was built and the community began to be occupied year-round.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development