The History of Napaskiak

Napaskiak is located on the east bank of the Kuskokwim River, along the Napaskiak Slough, 7 miles southeast of Bethel. It lies at approximately 60 42' N Latitude, 161 54' W Longitude (Sec. 08, T007N, R071W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

The area has historically been occupied by Yup'ik Eskimos. Napaskiak was first reported by the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey in 1867. The 1880 U.S. Census reported a population of 196. By 1890, the numbers had dropped to 97, and were as low as 67 in 1939.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development