Napaimute means "forest people," and was once called "Hoffman's." In 1906, George W. Hoffman, an Englishman, established a trading post at the site. A community of non-Native trappers and miners, with a significant number of Eskimos, developed around the trading post. Hoffman built a territorial school in 1920. A second school was established in 1926. By the early 1950s, most residents had moved to nearby villages, many to Aniak. Today, it is used as a summer fish camp.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development