The History of Mosquito Lake

The settlement is on the shore of Mosquito Lake, on the southwest side of the Chilkat River, 25 miles west of Skagway in the Haines Borough. It lies at approximately 59 28' N Latitude, 136 01' W Longitude . The community is located in the Haines Recording District. The area encompasses 116 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

The local name was first reported by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1952. It was called "Kuhnteah" by the Chilkats. A road was constructed to the lake in 1951 for recreational purposes.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development