The History of
Matanuska-Susitna Borough

The Borough is comprised of the lush farmlands of the Matanuska and Susitna Valleys, approximately 42 miles northeast of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 61 36' N Latitude, 149 06' W Longitude . The community is located in the Palmer, Anchorage, Talkeetna Recording District. The area encompasses 24,694 sq. miles of land and 539 sq. miles of water.

By 1920, gold, coal mining, and construction of the Alaska railroad sustained the local population. The Matanuska Valley was settled by homesteaders who led an agricultural lifestyle in the 1930s. Construction of the statewide road system and the rich farmlands fueled population growth. Today, Borough residents enjoy a more rural lifestyle close to metropolitan Anchorage.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development