The area is thought to have been inhabited for at least 2,000 years. Hundreds of artifacts have been uncovered in the area. Russian fur traders frequented the Island in the mid-1700s. The bay was named for Peter Larsen, an Unga Island furrier, hunter and guide. In the early 1800s, there was a tannery in Uyak Bay. The present-day Natives are Alutiiq (Russian-Aleuts). Alaska Packers Association built a cannery in the village in 1911.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development