Kobuk was founded in 1899 as a supply point for mining activities in the Cosmos Hills to the north, and was then called Shungnak. A trading post, school, and Friends Mission drew area residents to the settlement. Due to river erosion and flooding, the village was relocated in the 1920s to a new site 10 miles downstream, which was called "Kochuk," now Shungnak. The few who remained at the village renamed it Kobuk. Ice jams on the River cause high water each year. In May 1973, a flood covered the entire village.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development