The village of Kalifonsky was first noted in 1916 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. "Kali" means fishermen. The family name "Kalifornsky" is attributed to a Dena'ina Indian who worked at the Fort Ross colony in California between 1812 and the 1820s. Peter Kalifornsky, now deceased, was born in the village and was the last fluent speaker of the Dena'ina language.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development