The History of Kaguyak

Kaguyak was located at the head of Kaguyak Bay, on the southeast coast of Kodiak Island. It lies at approximately 56 51' N Latitude, 153 46' W Longitude (Sec. 25, T038S, R029W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kodiak Recording District. The area encompasses 0 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

Kaguyak is a local Alutiiq (Russian-Aleut) name, first reported in 1868 as "Alsentia." In 1880 it was reported as "Kaguiak." The earthquake of 1964 generated a tsunami which virtually destroyed the village. The village is abandoned.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development