The History of Houston

Houston is located north of Wasilla in the Mat-Su Borough, 29 miles north of Anchorage. It lies on the George Parks Highway, at mile 174.9 of the Alaska Railroad. It lies at approximately 61 38' N Latitude, 149 50' W Longitude (Sec. 21, T018N, R003W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Palmer Recording District. The area encompasses 24 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.

"Houston Siding" was first listed on a blueprint map of the Alaska Railroad in 1917. The area was homesteaded during the 1950s. In 1966, Houston became an incorporated city. In June 1996, the "Miller's Reach" wildfire destroyed more than 37,500 acres in the Houston and Big Lake area, including 433 buildings and homes valued at $8.9 million.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development