"Askinuk" or "Askinaghamiut" are the early Eskimo names for Hooper Bay. The village was first reported in 1878 by E.W. Nelson of the U.S. Signal Service. The 1890 Census found 138 persons living in 14 homes. The name Hooper Bay came into common usage after a post office with this name was established in 1934. The present-day Eskimo name "Naparagamiut" means "stake village people."
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development