The History of Harding Lake

Harding Lake lies 4 miles southeast of the junction of the Salcha and Tanana Rivers, 38 miles northwest of Big Delta on the Richardson Highway. It lies at approximately 64 25' N Latitude, 146 50' W Longitude . The community is located in the Fairbanks Recording District. The area encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and 4 sq. miles of water.

The lake was originally reported by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1909 as "Salchaket Lake." The lake was later named for Warren Harding, the 29th President of the U.S., who visited Alaska just before his death.


To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online


History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development