The middle Kuskokwim area first experienced contact with Europeans when the Russian explorer Zagoskin sailed upriver to McGrath in 1844. At that time, Georgetown was known as Keledzhichagat, a summer fish camp for residents of Kwigiumpainukamiut. Gold was found along the George River in 1909. This mining settlement and the river were named for three traders: George Hoffman, George Fredericks and George Morgan. By 1910, about 300 prospectors were living on the west side of the George River. About 200 cabins had been built, when a fire swept through the settlement in 1911, destroying all but 25 cabins. Also saved were the two general stores in town -- the Kuskokwim Commercial Company and the Northern Commercial Company. By 1953, the only large structure that remained at the site was the two-story log house belonging to George Fredericks. In the 1950s, the present settlement, on the east side of the George River, began to develop. A State school was established in 1965, and remained until 1970.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development