Eyak was first reported in 1869 as "Hyacks," an Aleut village, and then in 1880 as "Ihiak." In 1899, Lt. Comdr. Moser, USN, reported it as a cannery called "Odiak." The area has historically been the home to Aleuts, with the addition of migrating Athabascan and Tlingit natives calling themselves Eyak. Alaska Natives of other descents also settled in the Cordova area. The rich resources of the area have attracted a non-Native population.
To Community Histories Index Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development