The History of Deering
Deering is located on Kotzebue Sound at the mouth of the Inmachuk River, 57 miles southwest of Kotzebue. It is built on a flat sand and gravel spit 300 feet wide and a
half-mile long. It lies at approximately 66° 04' N Latitude, 162° 42' W Longitude (Sec. 20, T008N, R019W, Kateel River Meridian). The community is located in the Cape Nome
Recording District. The area encompasses 5 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
The village was established in 1901 as a supply station for Interior gold mining near the historic Malemiut Eskimo village of "Inmachukmiut." The name Deering was
probably taken from the 90-ton schooner Abbey Deering, which was in nearby waters around 1900.
To Community Histories Index
Alaska DCCED Community Database Online
History and map graphic used with permission from the Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development